Quantcast
Last updated on April 16, 2014 at 6:17 EDT

Latest Progressive bulbar palsy Stories

2013-04-24 15:36:37

An investigational treatment for an inherited form of Lou Gehrig´s disease has passed an early phase clinical trial for safety, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and Massachusetts General Hospital report. The researchers have shown that the therapy produced no serious side effects in patients with the disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The phase 1 trial´s results, available online in Lancet Neurology, also demonstrate...

2011-08-11 13:42:28

For decades, scientists have studied a laboratory mouse model that develops signs of the paralyzing disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) as they age. In a new study appearing in Nature Biotechnology, investigators at Nationwide Children's Hospital have developed a new model of ALS, one that mimics sporadic ALS, which represents about 90 percent of all cases. ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is characterized by the death of motor neurons, which are muscle-controlling nerve...

2010-12-10 15:52:07

Finding could lead to new insight in understanding, treating more common forms of this fatal neurological disease Using a new gene sequencing method, a team of researchers led by scientists from Johns Hopkins and the National Institutes of Health has discovered a gene that appears to cause some instances of familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The finding could lead to novel ways to treat the more common form of this fatal neurodegenerative disease, which kills the vast majority of...

2010-08-26 12:32:09

New research uncovers what may be a primary neuron-damaging insult that occurs in an inherited form of a devastating neurodegenerative disorder. The study, published by Cell Press in the August 26th issue of the journal Neuron, describes a critical mechanistic link between a mutant protein and disease pathogenesis in an animal model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). ALS is a disease that attacks the neurons in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary movement. There is no cure...

2009-10-20 14:59:21

A chemical cousin of a drug currently used to treat sepsis dramatically slows the progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, better known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease, in mice. The results offer a bit of good news in efforts to develop a therapy to stop or slow the progression of a disease that generally kills its victims within just a few years. In a paper published online Oct. 19 in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, scientists studied the use of a form of an enzyme known as...

2009-02-26 13:00:00

A U.S.-led team of scientists says it has discovered a new gene mutation, ALS6, that might lead to new treatments for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a progressive, neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The researchers said their discovery provides important clues to the causes of inherited ALS, which accounts for 10 percent of all cases, and sporadic ALS, which accounts for the other 90 percent and occurs...