Latest Quivira National Wildlife Refuge Stories
This fall, as America’s Tallgrass Prairies reach their height of growth, a team of expert guides for Naturalist Journeys, a top rated birding and wildlife company, plan to ignite enthusiasm for one of America’s unique ecoregions— the Tallgrass Prairie— as they lead an exciting and educational eco-tour. Ed and Sil Pembleton once again team up with Naturalist Journeys to promote signature biodiversity of America by offering a Fall tour to Kansas, America’s Heartland. Wichita, KS...
By Michael Pearce, The Wichita Eagle, Kan. Jul. 27--With temperatures hovering around 100, winter may be the furthest thing from most human minds. It's obviously on the mind of some shorebirds. Some have already begun their southward fall migration. Jim Sellers, Quivira National Wildlife Refuge assistant manager, said more will be on the move shortly. He's predicting a great gathering of everything from assorted sandpipers to phalaropes at the refuge. "We're already picking up...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.