Latest Roland Besenval Stories
Archaeologists warn that the Cheshma-e-Shafa gorge in the northern Afghan province of Balkh, where traces of human occupation date back to the sixth century BC, is in danger of being lost due to the construction of a tar road, despite laws that heritage sites must be protected. The scenic gorge in the northern province of Balkh is just one of several important ancient sites that will be destroyed if the post-Taliban push for development continues, they say. The French Archaeological...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.