Latest Rongbuk glacier Stories
India should seriously consider the melting glaciers in the Tibetan plateau, as millions of Indians rely on the water that comes from this region, says the Dalai Lama. Chinese experts are quoted by the spiritual leader as saying that the Tibetan glaciers were receding faster than anywhere else in the world. "India, a free country, I think should express more serious concern, that's I think important. This is nothing to do with politics, just everybody's interest, including Chinese people...
New photos taken from the same spot that British climber George Mallory captured on camera in 1921 show significant ice loss. The Asia Society (AS) arranged for the pictures to be taken. "The photographs reveal a startling truth: the ice of the Himalaya is disappearing," according to an AS statement. "They reveal an alarming loss in ice mass over an 89-year period." The photos taken by Mallory reveal a powerful, white, S-shaped sweep of ice on the mountain. Mountaineer David Breashears took...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.