Latest Rossiter–McLaughlin effect Stories
Lee Rannals for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online Astronomers reported in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society that looking at the sunlight reflected off the Moon during the Venus transit this year helped scientists find planets in orbit around other stars. As Venus passed in front of the Sun on June 6, 2012, it hid part of our sun's rotating surface. Because of rotation, the spectrum of the Sun is slightly different on each side. On one side of the sun,...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.