Latest Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Stories
While awareness of man-made pollutants and their environmental impact may be rising exponentially, one source of contamination remains largely unaddressed. Light pollution is the wasteful and obtrusive emission of artificial light, and it can have disastrous consequences for the affected local environments. And it not only disrupts animal populations, wastes energy, and ultimately degrades urban living; light pollution also blocks the night sky from astronomers and hopeful stargazers. As...
A 10-year-old Canadian girl has become the youngest person ever to discover a supernova, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) reported on Monday. Kathryn Aurora Gray, from Fredericton in the province of New Brunswick, discovered the magnitude 17 supernova on Sunday as she searched scores of telescopic images of star fields in distant galaxies. The images had been taken at an amateur observatory and sent to her father. "The RASC is pleased to announce the discovery of a...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.