Latest RSPB Stories
Ravens have been scratched out as the cause for a decline in the number of wading birds in the UK. Raven numbers have increased in the past 20 years, but waders like lapwing and curlew have fallen by 50%. Ravens feed on the eggs of the birds, but a new study shows that its links to the decline were irrelevant. The RSPB and University of Aberdeen's Center for Environmental Sustainability (ACES) carried out research that suggests habitat and vegetation and foxes could be to blame. The...
By Paul Cook A PIONEERING grant scheme has been launched for landowners to help declining numbers of woodland birds. The Forestry Commission and the RSPB are offering financial support to land owners and managers in the North-East to improve the habitat for 14 of the country?s vulnerable species. The scheme is the first of its kind in the country, with several of the targeted species associated with the North Pennines and Northumberland National Park. The 14 species are redstart, tree...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.