Latest Sake, DRC Stories
Two volcanoes near a major city in eastern Congo have begun showing evidence of intense volcanic activity - tremors, pools of lava and plumes of smoke - causing some residents flee the area, MSNBC reported. Scientists who visited the two volcanic peaks of Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira said on Thursday the volcanoes could be near eruption and would threaten Goma, a city with a population of more than half a million people. Dieudonne Wafula, the head of Goma's Volcanological Observatory, said the...
Science and aid agencies said that two volcanoes may erupt in heavily populated eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where years of fighting have already forced a million people from their homes. Scientists in Goma have registered high levels of seismic activity in recent weeks, which is considered an early warning sign of an impending eruption, around the Nyiragongo and Nyamuragira volcanoes. "There is heavy activity around Nyiragongo, but it's more centered on Nyamuragira, around 8 miles...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.