Latest Sakharov Stories
Chinese political activist Hu Jia won the European Parliament's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought, the parliament announced Thursday. "By awarding the Sakharov Prize to Hu Jia, the European Parliament firmly and resolutely acknowledges the daily struggle for freedom of all Chinese human rights defenders," European Parliament President Hans-Gert Pottering said in a news release issued from Strasbourg, France. Hu, a prominent human rights activist and Chinese dissident, has spoken out on...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.