Latest Samuel Pepys Stories
LONDON (Reuters) - A last-minute deal reached on Tuesday ensures a manuscript charting the birth of modern science, lost for more than 200 years, will be housed at the Royal Society rather than falling into private hands. Hailed as "science's missing link," the journal of Robert Hooke had been due to go on sale at auction with a price tag in excess of 1 million pounds. But just before the sale was due to take place, auctioneers Bonhams said an anonymous private bidder had agreed to...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.