Latest San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research Stories
Lawrence LeBlond for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online After five longs years of planning, San Diego Zoo Global (SDZG) researchers were able to capture endangered Pacific pocket mice in 2012 and begin a breeding program to help bring the endangered critters back from the edge of extinction. Following the zoo’s first successful breeding season that lasted from May to August 2013, of which 16 pups were born, researchers celebrated another round of successful mating, with the first...
A recently released scientific paper authored by San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research scientists shows the leading causes of death of the endangered California condor in the wild are human influenced, with lead poisoning being the primary factor in juvenile and adult birds. The study documents the deaths of wild California condors at all release sites–California, Arizona and Baja, California, Mexico–from the inception of the reintroduction program in October 1992...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.