Latest Santa Rosa Island Stories
Kerry Knudsen discovered 'Caloplaca obamae' on Santa Rosa Island, Calif. A researcher at UC Riverside has discovered a new species of lichen "“ a plant-like growth that looks like moss or a dry leaf "“ and named it after President Barack Obama. "I discovered the new species in 2007 while doing a survey for lichen diversity on Santa Rosa Island in California," said Kerry Knudsen, the lichen curator in the UCR Herbarium. "I named it Caloplaca obamae to show my appreciation for the...
Symbol: ARCO13 Group: Dicot Family: Ericaceae Duration: Perennial Growth Habit: Shrub Native Status: L48 N Synonyms: ARSUC Arctostaphylos subcordata Eastw. var. confertiflora (Eastw.) Munz Distribution: County distributions for the following U.S. states are available at PLANTS:CA Classification: Kingdom Plantae – Plants Subkingdom Tracheobionta – Vascular plants Superdivision Spermatophyta –...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.