Latest Scout badge Stories
New study reveals messages about gender in Boy Scout and Girl Scout manuals Nearly 5 million American children participate in the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, but until now no one has looked at the gender messages young people get when they start collecting those coveted badges. Kathleen Denny, a sociology graduate student at the University of Maryland, College Park, analyzed scouting manuals and found that"”despite positive aspects"”today's scouts are being fed stereotypical ideas...
An 18-year-old Boy Scout member in Lincoln Park, Mich., says he has earned all of the youth organization's 121 honorary badges. Andrew Schigelone said when he joined the youth group, he decided he would work as hard as he could at Boy Scout activities to make the most out of the experience, The Detroit Free Press reported Sunday. Six years later, that personal drive has resulted in Schigelone possessing every possible Boy Scout badge. I wanted to do it because I wanted to prove it to myself,...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.