Latest Secchi disk Stories
Scientists have designed a screening tool that provides a fast, easy and relatively inexpensive way to predict levels of a specific toxin in lakes that are prone to blue-green algal blooms. Blue-green algae is not your average pond scum - rather than consisting of plant-like organisms, blue-green algae actually are cyanobacteria, and some species are linked to the production and release of the toxin microcystin into the water. Human exposure to the toxin through drinking or recreational...
By Joe Gorden, Tribune-Democrat, Johnstown, Pa. Jul. 6--The search for a solution to the murky waters at Bedford County's Shawnee State Park continues without answers, but not without action. Early last week, state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) personnel sprayed a section of the lake with copper sulfate to combat increasing levels of blue-green algae. "I haven't seen any changes yet," park manager Bob Bromley said a few days after the treatment. "But, I don't...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.