Latest Serson Ice Shelf Stories
One of Canada's Arctic ice shelves has virtually vanished, and several others have diminished significantly over the summer, according to a pair of the nation's foremost experts on the subject. Luke Copland, an associate professor in the University of Ottawa's geography department, and Derek Mueller, an assistant professor at Carleton University's geography and environmental studies department, co-authored research reporting the disintegration of both the Serson Ice Shelf and the Ward Hunt...
Scientists said on Tuesday the ice shelves in Canada's High Arctic have lost a colossal area measuring 19 square miles after it broke away last month. The remaining shelves attached to Ellesmere Island, which have lasted for thousands of years, have seen almost a quarter of their cover break away. The Markham Ice Shelf, one of just five remaining ice shelves in the Canadian Arctic, split away from Ellesmere Island in early August. Scientists also reported that two large chunks totaling...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.