Latest Slim Short Stories
By Jerry Allegood, The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C. Oct. 24--GREENVILLE -- Robert A. Allen, a radio and television announcer better known to generations of Eastern North Carolina residents as the folksy Slim Short, died Sunday. He was 80. For 34 years, Allen was host and producer of "Carolina Today," an early morning talk and news show on WNCT-TV in Greenville. The show, which ended in 1997, was a staple for early risers. "If you grew up in Eastern North Carolina, you knew Slim...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.