Latest Smithsonian Stories
Lawrence LeBlond for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online Just a week ago we reported that a New Zealand economist was looking for a way to rid the island of its cat infestation, with claims that the curious critters were responsible for millions of bird kills annually, leaving the country with a big dent in its native bird population. While many were outraged by the seemingly unwarranted call out for residents to not replace their dying feline family members, it seems there may have...
Newark Museum Exhibition Examines Connections Between African Art, Cultural Astronomy. Newark, NJ (PRWEB) December 21, 2012 African Cosmos: Stellar Arts, the first major exhibition exploring the historical legacy of African cultural astronomy and its intersection with traditional and contemporary African arts, will debut at the Newark Museum February 27. Featuring more than 70 outstanding works of art from throughout the African continent, African Cosmos: Stellar Arts considers how the...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.