Latest Soil life Stories
By Rick Sandella Soil, the environment in which plants live, is not dirt. Soil is actually a complex ecosystem with physical, chemical and biological components that together assure that your plants will thrive with support from you. Through the miracle of photosynthesis, plants feed themselves by converting the sun's energy into sugars that they use to grow and stay healthy. Because of photosynthesis, we do not need to feed plants (give them food) but rather we can provide them with the...
EAST LANSING, Mich. "“ It seems a mighty feat for a microscopic fungus built from threadlike filaments. But collectively, these spindly mushroom relatives help move several billion tons of nutrients out of the soil and into plants each year. Now, new Michigan State University-supported research on the movement of nitrogen brings into sharper focus this underground process at the root of nearly all of Earth's food chains. "Ignorance (about the movement of nitrogen) limits our...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.