States and territories of India Reference Libraries
The Bombay Duck (Harpadon nehereus), known also as the bummalo, is, in spite of its name, not a duck but a lizardfish. It is native to the waters between Mumbai and Kutch within the Arabian Sea, and a smaller number can also be found in the Bay of Bengal. Large numbers are also caught in the South China Sea. This fish is often dried and salted before it is eaten, as its meat doesn’t have a...
The Purple Frog (Nasikabatrachus sahyadrensis) is a species of frog belonging to the family Sooglossidae. It is found in the Western Ghats in India. It is also known as the Pignose Frog. It is a fairly new recognized species as it was discovered in 2003. However it was well known to the local people before this and several earlier specimens had been ignored. It is a unique species for its...
The Nilgiri langur (Trachypithecus johnii) is a langur found in the Nilgiri hills of the Western Ghats in South India. Its range also includes Kodagu in Karnataka, Palani Hills in Tamil Nadu and many other hilly areas in Kerala. This primate has glossy black fur on its body and golden brown fur on its head. It is similar in size and long tailed like the gray langurs. Females have a white patch...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.