Latest Steve Pollick Stories
By Steve Pollick, The Blade, Toledo, Ohio Jul. 1--If the storm cloud of high energy prices has any silver linings, one of them might be what I can see when I look down the county road from the gravel driveway at my rural Sandusky County homestead: Tall, unmowed grass on the roadside at the end of June. Trust me, that has not been the case in the 34 Junes I have resided along Muskellunge Creek. It seems that the skyrocketing cost of gasoline and diesel fuel finally has gotten to the...
By Steve Pollick, The Blade, Toledo, Ohio Jun. 17--A hook-billed shorebird known as a whimbrel has made an amazing 3,200-mile flight in fewer than 146 hours from the Delmarva Peninsula on the East Coast to breeding grounds in the High Arctic on the Alaska-Yukon border, stopping briefly en route in the western Lake Erie marshes. Researchers from the Center for Conservation Biology at the College of William and Mary and The Nature Conservancy tracked the bird, an adult female nicknamed...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.