Latest Swara Stories
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan _ It began with an errant dog, and it's now culminated with the forced betrothal of 15 little girls, some of them as young as three, as compensation in a case of tribal feuding in a remote part of Pakistan. It's thought that around 20 people have died in the bitter quarrel, and the marriage offer of the girls is meant to end the bloodletting. Under a brutal custom, called Vani, the girls are being traded as settlement of a long-running dispute between two tribes. This...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.