Tasmanian Native-hen Reference Libraries
The Tasmanian Native-hen (Gallinula mortierii) is a flightless rail, one of twelve species of birds common to the Australian island of Tasmania. Other common names include Narkie, Native-hen, and Waterhen. Locally, the bird is often referred to as a 'turbo chook'. This species was originally described in 1840 as Tribonyx mortierii. The name mortierii is in honor of BarthÃ©lemy Charles...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.