Latest The Southern Cross Stories
Star clusters are among the most visually alluring and astrophysically fascinating objects in the sky. One of the most spectacular nestles deep in the southern skies near the Southern Cross in the constellation of Crux. The Kappa Crucis Cluster, also known as NGC 4755 or simply the "Jewel Box" is just bright enough to be seen with the unaided eye. It was given its nickname by the English astronomer John Herschel in the 1830s because the striking color contrasts of its pale blue and orange...
By PULLAR-STRECKER Tom THE consortium that owns the Southern Cross cable says a rival trans-Tasman communications cable backed by the Government will be chasing a slice of a market worth less than $20 million a year, and it might consider a legally binding guarantee making the extra competition pointless. Southern Cross Cable Network sales director Ross Pfeffer says medium to heavy broadband users pay an average of only US$3.50 a month to use the network, which carries most Internet...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.