Latest Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road Stories
Canada's far north region, once known for its gold mining, is now pulling diamonds from the ground, and unearthing some of the purest diamond deposits ever found.At the Diavik mine, 130 miles south of the Arctic Circle, a 650-foot deep crater can be seen among the ice-covered tundra where pipes containing vertical columns of diamond-bearing rock are among the most valuable in the world. Kimberlite pipes spokesman Tom Hoefer said, "They're among the three best pipes in the world, by...
By Rachelle Younglai TORONTO (Reuters) - The closure of an ice road over frozen lakes in Canada's Arctic will have "significant implications" for two of South African diamond giant De Beers' projects in the country, the company said on Wednesday. De Beers and other diamond companies depended on the road to ship crucial supplies to their remote mining sites in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut territory. But unseasonably warm temperatures have melted parts of the road, making it...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.