Latest Tidal force Stories
The biggest and brightest full moon of the year will occur this weekend. An estimated 16% brighter than normal, this spectacular ℠Supermoon´ will be visible in the night sky on Saturday (May 5) at 11:35 p.m. EDT, according NASA. Click here for video. The scientific term for the phenomenon is "perigee moon." Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. The Moon follows an elliptical path around Earth with one side ("perigee") about 50,000 km closer than...
Have you ever wondered where the man in the moon comes from, or perhaps more interestingly, why he always fixes his gaze on us rather than showing his dark backside? Pondering those questions further, researchers from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) have come up with some answers. The moon´s near side facing us is covered with dark splotches of lunar maria (smooth plains formed by ancient volcanic eruptions) that resembles a man´s face when seen from Earth....
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.