Latest Tom McIvor Stories
Top of Tom McIvor's wish list for this Christmas must be that evolution would just go away. Well, that isn't going to happen! Evolution has withstood the onslaught of better minds than his for 150 years and has not failed any test, so it can shrug off any criticism from him. In his latest letter (Write Back, September 11) he asks for 'facts not fairy stories'. Amazingly, he will find that the scientific literature is full of supporting facts, if he cares to look for them and does not...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.