Latest Vostok 3 Stories
A spokesman for a New York City auction house said that a 1961 Soviet space capsule that carried a cosmonaut mannequin and a live dog into space was sold at Sotheby's on Tuesday for $2.9 million. David Redden of Sotheby's auction house said that the buyer of the Vostok 3KA-2 was Russian businessman Evgeny Yurchenko. He said the total price included the buyer's premium. Redden said that Yurchenko planned to take the capsule back to his home country. "I hope that Vostok will take its...
A historic Soviet space capsule will be going up for sale at Sotheby's in New York with a pre-sale price tag that is estimated to be in the millions. Sotheby's will auction the spherical Vostok 3KA-2 Space Capsule on April 12, the 50th anniversary of the first manned space flight by Soviet cosmonaut Yury Gagarin. The spacecraft has significant historical credentials, as it is the model used for the final dummy run before Gagarin made his historic voyage. The capsule is expected to bring...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.