Latest Water-borne diseases Stories
Coated silica particles filter out toxins, pathogens
Water and sanitation officials in the Norwegian capital of Oslo issued a warning Wednesday that the city's tap water supply was unsafe for consumption.
By Josh Brodesky, The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson Oct. 4--Brain-eating amoebas have taken up residence in Tucson's water supply as recent tests have shown their presence in 12 wells.
By Annette Wells By ANNETTE WELLS REVIEW-JOURNAL The death of an Arizona boy infected by an amoeba after swimming at Lake Havasu has caught the attention of officials responsible for Lake Mead, Lake Mohave and Nevada's hot springs.
It sounds like science fiction but it's true: A killer amoeba living in lakes enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die.
By Hanauer, Stephen B DuPont, Herbert L; Cooper, K
By Ottoson, J; Hansen, A; Westrell, T; Johansen, K
NORWICH (Reuters) - Diseases not normally seen in Europe are now starting to appear because of the world's changing climate, a scientist said on Monday.
KHARTOUM (Reuters) - A cholera outbreak in Sudan has spread to the war-torn western Darfur region, posing a serious threat to the 2.5 million living in squalid camps in cramped conditions, a U.N. statement said. Cholera spreads rapidly in close-knit populations.
GENEVA (Reuters) - The death toll from a cholera outbreak in Angola has topped 1,500 with more than 41,000 cases reported, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.
Vibrio vulnificus is a species of Gram-negative, motile, curved, rod-shaped bacteria of the Vibrio Genus. Hollis et al. first reported it in 1976. It was given the name Beneckea vulnifica by Reichelt et al. in 1976 and in 1979 Vibrio vulnificus by Farmer. V. vulnificus is related to V. cholerae and is present in marine environments such as estuaries, brackish ponds, or coastal areas. It causes an infection often incurred after eating seafood, especially raw or undercooked oysters. It can...
Campylobacter jejuni is a species of curved, helical shaped, non-spore forming, Gram-negative microaerophilic, bacteria commonly found in animal feces. It is one of the most common causes of human gastroenteritis in the world. This food poisoning can be severely debilitating but rarely life-threatening. It has also been linked to Guillain-Barre syndrome which generally develops two to three weeks after the initial illness. It is commonly associated with poultry, and it naturally colonizes...
- A coin originally worth six pennies Scots, and later three; held equivalent to an English halfpenny.
- (in plural) Money; cash.