Latest Watershed Center Grand Traverse Bay Stories
Counting dead birds along Lake Michigan's Upper Peninsula shoreline last November was mind-numbing, even emotional for wildlife biologist Joe Kaplan. Hundreds of loons, cormorants, gulls, long-tailed ducks and grebes were scattered across the sand, washed up and rotting. Then he spotted a familiar bird. The yellow band on its lifeless leg showed it was C3, a loon that had lived for 14 seasons at Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The adult male was 22 miles from...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.