Latest Wayne Coates Stories
A gel made from chia seeds -- the same seeds that are used in the popular Chia Pet line -- may start sprouting up in a very unexpected place: cake recipes! A new study has found that the chia seed gel may work as a substitute for eggs or oil in cakes to reduce the fat content. The study's authors, led by Dr. Rafael Borneo, from the Center of Excellence in Products and Processes C³rdoba in Argentina, experimented with cake recipes that substituted 25 percent, 50 percent, or 75 percent...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.