Latest Whitlow Au Stories
HONOLULU -- A bill passed by the U.S. House last week would provide $2.2 million to the University of Hawaii to research the effects of sound on whales and dolphins. Environmentalists have argued that the technology such as sonar could harm sea life which use sound waves to communicate. Paul Nachtigall, director of the Marine Mammal Research Program at Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology, said there is a big concern about the hearing of animals in the ocean, particularly loud sounds placed...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.