Latest Ya'an Stories
China is set to retrace the journey of Pere Jean Pierre Armand David, the French Catholic missionary who made giant pandas known to the West. The move will commemorate the 140th anniversary of the bears' discovery by the outside world, according to a state media report by the Xinhua news agency on Tuesday. The giant black and white bears were virtually unheard of outside China until 1869, when Pere David described one the had been shot by hunters in Ya'an, Sichuan province. The tale...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.