Latest Yorkshire Dales Stories
A PhD student at the University of Leeds has developed a fast, accurate and inexpensive method of creating detailed vegetation community maps over very large areas, by coupling aerial photographs with data from maps. Working in partnership with the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, Ute Bradter from Leeds' Faculty of Biological Sciences, has collated existing data (such as soil type, altitude, slope and aspect) and using a sophisticated statistical model, predicted the distribution of...
A FIRE watch is to be mounted in the Yorkshire Dales in an attempt to reduce the devastating damage and loss of wildlife caused by summer blazes in and around the national park. The new North Yorkshire Dales Wildfire Group is encouraging landowners to draw up plans they hope will reduce the severe impact of such incidents on the internationally important moorland. Firefighters have teamed up with national park officers and members of the Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.