Latest Zhijian "James" Chen Stories
DALLAS, April 29, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) today announced the election of Dr. Zhijian "James" Chen, professor of molecular biology, who holds the George L. MacGregor Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Science and is also a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator at UT Southwestern Medical Center. http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20140429/81899 Being elected to the NAS is one of the highest honors in American science, and with Dr....
A person's ability to battle viruses at the cellular level remarkably resembles the way deadly infectious agents called prions misfold and cluster native proteins to cause disease, UT Southwestern Medical Center researchers report. This study marks the first discovery of so-called "good" prion-like proteins in human cells and the first to find such proteins involved in innate immunity: the way the body recognizes and responds to threats from viruses or other external agents, said Dr. Zhijian...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.