August 13, 2008
Readers Dash to Rescue for Sick Dylan ; Greg Tindle Health Correspondent
ECHO readers have come to the aid of a family who needed a vital piece of equipment for their sick son.
Paul and Claire Bethell have been overwhelmed by the generosity of readers who we removed by the plight of their son Dylan, who was born with a rare and possibly fatal condition.
Paul, together with three friends, recently endured a full body wax to raise money for a special monitor to help son Dylan, who has a lung disease that sees him regularly admitted to hospital.
His appeal for the pounds 1,200 piece of equipment was highlighted by the Echo two weeks ago and within just a few days, readers ensured they reached their target.
Paul and mum Claire have now raised the full amount for the monitor to be used at their home.
Dylan's medical problems have been caused by a lung disease called primary pulmonary lymphangiectasia, which is so rare, it's believed the two-year-old may be the only person in Wales suffering with it.
Dylan is also allergic to the smallest traces of fat, a condition which provides a major shopping headache for 25-year-old Claire with every single purchase - apart from most fruit and vegetables - having to be checked carefully.
Paul, 33, a security guard at Cardiff International Airport, said: "Dylan's been regularly in and out of hospital almost since the day he was born. When he gets ill with breathing problems he cannot get enough oxygen into his blood. The monitor helps us keep an eye on his blood oxygen levels and gives us peace of mind."
Paul, of Cornwall Road, Barry, said: "The response from Echo readers was phenomenal.
I had no idea how generous people can be.
We have also received more than pounds 200 from the staff Sports and Social Club at the University Hospital of Wales, in Heath, Cardiff.
"The Echo readers have not only sent us money but some of the stories they had to tell about what their own children went through have been very touching, even humbling."
Paul said that any extra money collected above their target was being donated to another child who has received regular treatment at the Children's Hospital for Wales and also needs home monitoring equipment.
(c) 2008 South Wales Echo. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.