A sore throat is an uncomfortable irritation of the throat that happens from time to time. You can feel pain, dryness, scratchiness and other irregularities. They inform you that something is wrong. This is a common reaction of your body’s immune system to certain conditions. It doesn’t always have to be a flu or an infection. Sometimes your throat may feel sore because of dry air or certain allergies.
The irritation of the throat is one of the most common symptoms. You shouldn’t worry too much though. In most cases, you can treat it by yourself. But if it doesn’t go away on its own, then you may have to see the doctor.
To make your treatment as comfortable as possible, you may want to get some OTC medicine to soothe the pain. But, do you know there are many natural remedies that may ease these symptoms? Maybe you have some in your home right now. This article goes over some of the best medicine for sore throat that you can make on your own.
Causes of Sore Throat
There are different types of sore throat that affect different parts of the throat:
- Pharyngitis: affects the area behind the mouth
- Tonsillitis: swelling and inflammation of the tonsils
- Laryngitis: irritation and inflammation of the larynx (the voice box)
A sore throat is a common symptom of many diseases and conditions. They include:
- Viruses: Viral diseases are the top cause of sore throat. They include mononucleosis, flu, common cold, chickenpox, measles, etc.
- Bacteria: Bacterial infections can cause trouble in your throat. The most common is Streptococcus pyogenes (strep throat). Some STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhea can inflame the throat, too.
- Allergies: Some people have allergic reactions to pollen, grass, dust, and others. These reactions cause throat irritation
- Dryness in the air
- Smoking cigarettes and other tobacco products
- Chemicals from cleaning products
- Air pollution
- Muscle strain: After yelling, talking loudly, or talking for a very long time
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease: The acids from your stomach back up and irritate your throat and esophagus
- Tumor: This is an uncommon cause of a sore throat which will not go away by itself
- Tooth problems: Wisdom teeth inflammation or tooth gangrene causes the pain to spread all over your head. This can also cause pain and infection of the throat.
Symptoms of Sore Throat
The symptoms may be different depending on the cause. Sometimes it is a minor ache in the throat. But other times the pain may be severe and involves other conditions.
Some of the common symptoms are:
- Pain in the throat area
- Pain while talking or swallowing
- Swollen glands
- Changed voice
- White marks or pus on your tonsils
Besides throat irritation, other symptoms that may appear are:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
What Is the Best Medicine for Sore Throat?
Sore throat caused a lot of problems for people throughout history, so we’ve learned to battle it in many ways. This is why there are many natural remedies that you can use to treat your throat inflammation and ease your pain.
Some of the best are:
Honey is a natural antibacterial remedy with the ability to soothe inflammations. This pleasant sweetener is one of the favorite home remedies for its taste and effectiveness. You should look to add honey to any herbal tea to enhance its healing power.
Salt water is one of the most popular means of easing throat pain. The salt may pull out water from the throat to reduce swelling and deal with some bacteria. This may ease your pain and make you feel more comfortable. Add half a teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and gargle.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Since apple cider is acidic It can be effective against bacteria and mucus. It can stop the microbes from spreading around and help with the infection. You can mix one or two tablespoons of ACV in a glass of water and gargle two to three times every hour. Make sure to drink a lot of water in between.
Lemon is full of vitamin C which is a primary immune system booster. It is similar to honey in a sense because it works against the mucus and microbes, which eases the pain. Squeeze half a lemon into a glass of warm water and drink it. You may feel comfort in the throat right away. Adding honey can make this remedy even more effective.
Chicken Soup With Garlic
Eating a homemade chicken soup is a frequent doctor recommendation when you have a cold. It is warm, filled with vitamins, and provides relief to your inflamed throat. Adding garlic may help since it contains a high amount of allicin, an organic compound which is a good defender against microbes and infections.
What? You probably thought this would make it worse, but it won’t. Hot sauce is made out of peppers, and peppers have high levels of capsicum. For example, cayenne pepper is full of it. Capsicum can block pain receptors and bring relief. Put a few drops of hot sauce in salted warm water and gargle and you should feel better.
There are various herbal teas that can help when you are having a fiery throat. Peppermint tea is probably the most effective because of its high anti-inflammatory properties. Green tea, ginger root tea, chamomile tea, and raspberry tea should have similar effects as well.
Traditional Chinese medicine uses cinnamon to treat sores and colds and to relieve pain. Its high antioxidant and antibacterial value may help with inflammations. You can prepare cinnamon tea or add it the spice in other remedies or drinks for sore throat. For example – a warm aqueous solution of lemon, honey, and cinnamon is delicious and productive at the same time!
What You Should Avoid
When you are having a sore throat, it is best to avoid anything that may further aggravate your soft tissue or spread the infection, such as the following.
- Cold drinks, especially soda and alcoholic drinks
- Cold food
- Food that is difficult to swallow
- Acidic and spicy foods as yet mentioned
If you notice that your sore throat is getting worse or lingering, you should see a doctor. Also, if you notice any severe swelling or have trouble opening your mouth, the condition may be more serious.
Prevention Is Better than Cure
Sore throat is a common problem for all the people around the world and the first signal that your immune system is at work. Luckily, nature offers some of the best medicine for sore throat that will help ease your pain.
So, even if you are healthy, it might be a good idea to add some of these remedies to your diet. As they say, it’s easier to prevent a sore throat than to treat it.