By SHAUN JEPSON
The family of a man who spent weeks in a coma after a city- centre attack have started a 300-mile charity bike ride in aid of the hospital that helped save his life.
Dalvinder Rana was left with a fractured skull following the attack and specialists at Nottingham’s Queen’s Medical Centre had to perform intricate surgery to save his life.
Eight weeks after the incident, doctors were amazed at the 35- year-old’s recovery and deemed him well enough to return home.
Two of his nephews, Steven and Simon Dhinsa, have now embarked on a bike ride from Exeter to the QMC to recognise the work of doctors and nurses who treated their uncle.
The pair will complete the four-day journey with friends Ray Merrin and James O’Connor.
Steven, 21, who lives in Exeter, said: “It is going to be a tough old job but we are all looking forward to the challenge.
“We all face challenges in life but there isn’t a challenge as big as the one that Dally has faced in getting himself back on his feet. What we are doing is small compared to that.
“I think the hardest thing about this is going to be getting back on the bike after we’ve had a bit of a rest.”
During a night out with friends in Derby, in January, Mr Rana was attacked and his injuries were severe enough to land him in intensive care.
Surgeons had to perform an operation to remove the front part of his skull, to allow the injured part of his brain to recover and his wife, Sunita, was warned that he might never recover.
Mrs Rana remained at his bedside 24 hours a day, despite being pregnant with the couple’s second child, Prem, who was born earlier this month. She even imposed a ban preventing family and friends from getting upset around her husband.
Simon Dhinsa, 18, said: “This is a way of saying thank-you to all those who helped Dally pull through. Hopefully, we can raise as much money as possible for the unit.”
Owen Bennett, matron for neurology at Nottingham University Hospitals, said: “It is great news that Mr Rana has made such a good recovery and is now back home with his family and new baby son.
“We are grateful that the family has chosen to raise money for the area where Mr Rana received some of his care during his time with us. We wish the family the best of luck and look forward to seeing them when they arrive in Nottingham next week.”
The quartet of cyclists are expected to arrive at the QMC on Tuesday.
A 29-year-old man has appeared in court charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Rana.
Isaac Carter, of Leicester, denied the charge, and also denied causing actual bodily harm to Bhupinder Dhadli.
Carter was remanded in custody for a date to be fixed.
(c) 2008 Derby Evening Telegraph. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.
Comments