Lady Gaga was honored with an ELLE Women in Hollywood Award and broke into tears discussing her fibromyalgia.
The singer and actress is currently headlining A Star Is Born in theaters, and she took some time to receive the award, wearing an oversized “power suit” from designer Marc Jacob’s Spring 2019 collection. It was the choice of the suit itself, which she wore instead of a traditional gown, that turned so many heads and was chosen specifically in response to her struggles with sexual assault, PTSD, and the chronic pain of fibromyalgia.
In her remarkable speech, she addressed her fibro directly:
…I was diagnosed with PTSD and Fibromyalgia, which many people don’t think is real, and I don’t even know what the f**k to say about that.
‘But I’ll tell you what it is. It’s a syndrome that is essentially a cyclone of stress induced pain. And I really wish my friend Lena Dunham was here tonight because I think she could probably articulate this much better than me.
Jennifer Lopez’ boyfriend Alex Rodriguez shared a video of the event:
- Addressing the suit directly, she said, “As a sexual assault survivor by someone in the entertainment industry, as a woman who is still not brave enough to say his name, as a woman who lives with chronic pain, as a woman who was conditioned at a very young age to listen to what men told me to do, I decided today I wanted to take the power back. Today I wear the pants.”
- Discussing mental health: “Depression, anxiety, eating disorders, trauma—these are just a few examples of the forces that can lead to this tornado of pain.”
- On the significance of the award itself: “For me, this is what it means to be a woman in Hollywood. It means, I have a platform. I have a chance to make a change. I pray we listen and believe and pay closer attention to those around us to those in need.”
- Lady Gaga breaks down in tears as she discusses sexual assault, suffering PTSD and chronic pain at Women In Hollywood event – Daily Mail
- Lady Gaga Explains Her Oversize Suit: ‘I Wanted to Take the Power Back’ – The Cut
- Lady Gaga Opens Up About Sexual Assault and Mental Health in Vulnerable ELLE Women in Hollywood Acceptance Speech – ELLE
- “Girls” Star Lena Dunham Reveals she has Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia Treating